Fall is upon us but I’m just finally getting around to breaking out my favorite fall items. Maybe it’s because I spend a lot of time around the house in yoga pants these days, or that I continue to safely rotate between my 4 favorite outfits whenever I go out without the kiddos. I’m by no means a fashionista but I have learned how to put together basic kid friendly clothes that make me look like I put in at least a small amount of effort before heading out of the house to the grocery store or the park. (And these items are versatile enough for the single ladies, too)
Here are my 5 fall fashion essentials every mom should have in her closet:
1. Tall Boots – whether they’re riding boots or rubber wellies, boots are great for keeping your feet warm and dry while chasing kids around during the fall and winter months but they’re still cute enough for a trip to the mall or lunch with friends.
2. Fleece-Lined Leggings – comfy like yoga pants but more socially acceptable, leggings can go great with boots or flats. Be sure to pair it with a top or cardigan that covers your bottom (they’re leggings, not pants).
3. Cozy Cardigans – classic layering pieces help pull a look together. Pair it with a t-shirt and leggings for a look that is comfy enough for lounging around the house but also public appropriate. Also, patterns can help hide dirt and stains that little fingers may leave behind.
4. Fancy Sweatshirts – all the comfort of a sweatshirt but with a slightly more feminine fit. Also, fun patterns or embellishments make them less ordinary.
5. Scarves – keeps your neck cozy with these easy accessories. Just throw on and go (or search Pinterest for hundreds of different fancy ways to tie a scarf). They also do double duty by providing strategic coverage for any spills or spit-up mishaps.
Busy lady with no time to shop? I use Stitch Fix, an AMAZING personal shopping subscription service that’s like Christmas morning. You fill out a quick style profile and provide a link to your Pinterest style board (optional), pay $20 and they send you 5 items (clothes, bags, jewelry and scarves). You try everything on at home, keep what you like (the $20 gets credited toward your purchase) and send the rest back in the shipping-paid envelope they provide. Super easy for busy women who don’t have time to shop or know what to buy. If you haven’t tried it, DO IT!